www.oldpulsars.com Forum Index www.oldpulsars.com
Time Computer LED watches (Pulsar, Omega, Hamilton)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulsar Serial Numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liveat10
Level 2
Level 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Pulsar Serial Numbers Reply with quote

Can you tell when a Pulsar watch was made by the Serial # on the case, and why do some have 1973 on them and others don't, what I mean is one of mine has 1973 on it with a higher S # than the one that does not, lower S #, is the one with 1973 worth more because the year is stamped on it. Thanks
oldpulsars
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pulsar Serial Numbers Reply with quote

liveat10 wrote:
Can you tell when a Pulsar watch was made by the Serial # on the case, and why do some have 1973 on them and others don't, what I mean is one of mine has 1973 on it with a higher S # than the one that does not, lower S #, is the one with 1973 worth more because the year is stamped on it. Thanks

The short answer is no, but in some rare instances, like your 3100 Date Command, yes. That particular watch is the only “Dated” case so we do know what year that it was made. From mid 1972 through 1975 Time Computer couldn’t get parts fast enough to make Pulsars. They contracted more than one supplier for cases and bracelets for some models. They were each given a separate lot of serial numbers. The P3 cases with the dated caseback were not the only P3 cases made that year, others made in 1973 have no date.

In general, serial numbering gives little clue as to when the watch was assembled. The rare models like the P1 and the solid gold Pulsar/Time are well documented but the mass-produced models are impossible to document. Even if we knew when the parts were made, we are not sure when the watch was assembled. Take for instance the models that were introduced near the end of a year but were assembled and sold early the next year. All we have to count on the manufacturing dates I have listed on the website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.oldpulsars.com Forum Index -> History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: