www.oldpulsars.com Forum Index www.oldpulsars.com
Time Computer LED watches (Pulsar, Omega, Hamilton)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Melting Pot Theory?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.oldpulsars.com Forum Index -> Myths & Legends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulsar3
Level 5
Level 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't buy that ridiculous melting pot theory either. However, the only way to settle the issue is to have a good many of them show up over time- which is what we're gradually seeing- I know of a new one on e-bay that just showed up this year.

Chances are good that these watches were tucked away safely in places like safety deposit boxes- just waiting for them to be discovered as things get passed on. Time will tell...
oldpulsars
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The melting pot theory? (originally posted June 2008 and inadvertently deleted)

I often get asked about the myth that many of the solid gold Pulsars were melted down and that is why we don’t see many for sale.

I personally don’t believe this and here is why. First of all, the melt value has never exceeded the value of the any solid gold Pulsar, even at today’s prices. What always seems to be left out of these claims it that these watches are not pure gold? 18k is only 75% pure gold and nobody will melt it down for free. At $1,000 an ounce, a P1 would net about $3,000 . . . . I’ll buy every P1 on the planet for that!

Lets take another look at the Pulsar Limited Edition P1 (450 units).

There are 450 watches and 6,000,000,000 people on this planet? Also, why would somebody who could afford such a watch need to melt it down . . . . to pay their rent, I don’t think so. Remember that this is a watch that cost as much as a car, it was purchased by the very wealthy. When this class of people passes on, they leave everything of value to family or an auction house liquidates it to others, who are wealthy. There are exceptions and a few probably were melted down, but I have to believe it is a very small percentage.

They are out there . . . they’ll show up, one at a time, just like they were sold!

Last edited by oldpulsars on Sun May 16, 2010 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total
oldpulsars
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all those who believe the Melting Pot Theory, they only need to consider what took place on May 14th, 2010. There was an 18k solid gold Limited Edition P1 listed and sold for $3,000. This is almost a $1,000 UNDER the scrap value, not including the value of other non-gold parts.

The seller's description included the weight of the watch and stated that they had taken the watch to three different jewelers. This proves the seller was well aware of the melt value.

So why didn't the seller melt it down? He could have parted the watch out and sold the rare P1 manual for $100 or so and certainly could have got $700 or more for the module.

A logical reason is that the seller knew the historical value and felt that is more valuable, historically than the melt value. I have said before that there most likely were a few of the 450 watches melted down, but not by somebody who knew the significant historical value. Even siblings who attained a P1 from their father after he passed on would certainly know what they have.

I have a P1 in for repair right now from the son of an original P1 owner. Not only would he not consider melting it down because it was his father's watch, he also realizes its historical value. And I might add, he isn't going through the best of time right now.

All this is further proof that just because we don't know where all the P1s are, doesn't mean they were melted down. Just look at how many P1s have surfaced in the last twelve months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.oldpulsars.com Forum Index -> Myths & Legends All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: